I sat here wracking my brain for a while, trying to think of the PERFECT thing to write for you. I went through a few ideas for at home spa treatments, summer skincare, favorite restaurants in the Seattle, Minneapolis or Detroit area, you know, just in case you plan to travel to any one of those locations this summer! But what it boiled down to was this: My NotSoSecret love of drugstore beauty products! Don’t get me wrong. I can love me some MAC eye shadow all day long, but I also truly appreciate a really good (and effective) buy.
So I bring to you, my top drug/grocery store beauty buys.
- Coconut Oil– any kind. It melts at body temperature, soaks in, and makes your body feel like silk. NO joke, the BEST moisturizer I’ve ever used. A little tiny bit goes a very long way. (I usually put the jar on the bathroom sink while I shower. By the time I’m out, the top layer of the oil is melted for use.
- L’oreal True Match Foundation– compliments galore, people. It makes your skin glow without looking shiny. It comes in 33 shades. It’s lightweight, but build-able. What I mean by that is, one day I might wear it sheer so it’s more like a tinted moisturizer. If a breakout happens the next day, and I want more coverage? Absolutely possible with this product.
- ELF Clear Brow Gel– a brow gel is a brow gel is a brow gel. This one is $1 and works just as well as the $5 Cover Girl or the $15 MAC.
- L’oreal Sublime Sun SPF 50– lightweight fullspectrum facial sun protection. It lays nicely under makeup, or you can wear it alone.
^^Hands down, my “I-Won’t-Leave-The-House-Without-Putting-It-On” product^^
- Garnier Anti-Puff Eye Roller– It has a cold metal applicator ball. It’s fun to put on, and the caffeine shrinks under eye bags quickly. I’ve tried several other eye de-puffer products out there, and I always end up coming back to this one. (Clearly I need to adjust my allergy meds, or stop drinking before bed…that’s it, I’m only drinking before noon now, it’s for the health of my eyes!)
- L’oreal Infallible Shadow– these shadows are a loose pigment shadow. Tons of color payoff, nice, long wear, and great shimmer without looking cheap.
*(Also, I’d like to point out, L’oreal is cornering the market on low cost, high payoff products.)*
- NYX Gloss in Beige-which is CLEARLY not beige at all. It’s a really nice neutral pink tone. Its moisturizing, good color, and lasts pretty well.
AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST-
- Cover Girl Lash Perfection Mascara– You guys, this is amazing. I have tried everything out there…! From $1 tubes to $35 dollar tubes of mascara- I *might* have an obsession with lashes. I ALWAYS go back to this product. And frankly, I’m not sure I even care to try anything else again. It is a near duplicate to Chanel Inimitable, minus the flakes. It lasts all day without smearing, and it builds to create either a light natural coat, or up to a Tammy Fay Baker-esque lashgasm. Get thee to a Target or CVS and buy a tube!
Well everyone, it’s been fun. I hope this inspires you to shake things up a bit. What are your favorite budget beauty buys? I’m always in the market to try new things, so hook a girl up with some new choices!
Follow Amber Budd on Twitter at: ambersallmadeup
Amber is an accomplished makeup artist
and a licensed Esthetician.
She has trained with MAC, Make Up For Ever,
The Makeup Annex, Aveda, Origins,
Philosophy and The Body Shop.